Wooster Barn reassembled for a new gallery at the Buckeye Agriculture Museum



WOOSTER – Log by log and beam by beam, the Buckeye Agriculture Museum and Education Center has recreated one of Ohio’s oldest barns for its new gallery which will open at the fair.

The two-story bank barn originally stood on the property where the Wooster High School and Follis Field are located. It was dismantled by a group interested in preserving the agricultural history of Wayne County shortly after the Buchholz family sold the property to schools in the town of Wooster in 1992.

From the farm, parts of the barn have been stored in several maintenance garages over the past 30 years. The surviving pieces finally reached the museum parking lot in May, ready to be reassembled inside the facility across from the Wayne County Fairgrounds.

Reconstruction of the Buchholz barn:A dismantled barn stored for more than 30 years finds new life at the Buckeye Agricultural Museum

Ron Grosjean and Paul Locher hold one of the original planks that were used on a barn extension built in 1830. The barn was originally built in 1814 by David Billman.

The museum rebuilt nearly half of the barn inside its third gallery space, keeping almost the original 60-foot width but only building half the depth of 30 feet and reducing the height of the four-log barn.

The barn exhibit and other exhibits will be open to the public when the Wayne County Fair opens on September 11.

Wayne County Fair:Grandstand fun returns at Wayne County Fair

The gallery will also include a working Russell steam engine

A Russell steam engine sits in the parking lot of the Buckeye Agriculture Museum, waiting to operate again in the new gallery. The steam engine will run on compressed air. Ron Grosjean, a member of the Friends of Wayne County Fair, plans to have the steam engine running by the time of the fair.

Ron Grosjean, a member of the Friends of Wayne County Fair, stands in front of a log-built loft from the Buchholz barn which will display old farm equipment.

Additional logs from the barn have been used to create a loft across the room where antique farm equipment will be on display. The wall panels under the loft were hewn from a bald cypress tree that stood where the Wayne County Event Center was built.

The floor under the right side of the reconstructed barn is from the first frame house built in Wayne County. The house stood in downtown Wooster Square and was built as an office for Resin Beall in the early 1800s. It was later moved to the corner of Grant and South streets.

The flooring installed under the right side of the barn is from one of the original houses built in Wooster for Resin Beall.

Paul Locher, curator of the Buckeye Agriculture Museum, saved the floor of the house before it was demolished.

On the back wall of the barn, local artist Kristin Lorson will paint a mural that will describe what the landscape would have looked like across the walkway and down to the pasture when the barn was built in 1814. Lorson painted the painting mural outside the museum along West Old Lincoln Way.



Source link

Previous Ducey's Office Calls "Illegal" COVID Quarantine Policy of 2 School Districts | Arizona State Schools
Next Solvay director appointed CNY school district director