Nearly 700 students absent from Lucy Beckham high school on Monday after threats on social media


MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (WCBD) – Almost 700 students were absent from Lucy Beckham High School in Mount Pleasant on Monday following a “suspected threat of violence”.

Principal Anna Dassing emailed parents late Sunday evening to let them know that the school was working with the Mount Pleasant Police Department, Emergency Management and the Charleston County School District Safety Office to investigate threats circulating online.

“At the moment, there is no evidence to support the threat, and we expect the school to operate on a regular schedule on Monday,” she said in her message to parents.

But the Charleston County School District said Tuesday that 689 students had not attended class on Monday. They said the total attendance was 44.2%.

The Mount Pleasant Police Department late Sunday evening, they were made aware of the threats that had been shared on social media. “Officers are investigating the claim and have spoken to some of the subjects involved,” the department said.

An initial investigation found that there had been disagreement between the subjects, “but a direct threat to the school has not been discovered,” Mount Pleasant PD said.

We are told that an investigation is underway.


Source link

Previous Teenager arrested, security reinforced after threats from Miami-Dade school on social networks
Next Beth-Center Middle School Donates Christmas Gifts to WHS | Local news